Friday, August 24, 2012

Back to School Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tomorrow I head back to Danville, and I will be coming prepared with three cars worth of stuff, as well as a clan of cookies for my friends (first come, first serve, guys!).

All week I have been going crazy packing. I have gone to the grocery at least five times; I keep forgetting things I need! I stayed awake at night, having nightmares of the pajamas, baking utensil, or notebook that I had forgotten to pack. But, I have finally reached the point where I can relax: all my things are neatly packed and stacked, awaiting my little minions (Jessime, Nick, and Drake) to come carry them away.

So, again, I can bake! And this time I had a little help from my cousins Ben and Alex. They ran over and helped me mix together a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies!


Now, all chocolate chip cookies are not made equal. Most are good while they are still hot, chocolatey and gooey all over. But, once they start to cool down, they lose their pizzazz and become ugly, crumbly, and not so delicious. 

These chocolate chip cookies are delectable right out of the oven and the next day! The melted chocolate chips satisfy my craving for right-out-of-the-oven gooeyness, but the real treat is when they have cooled down. Cooled, you can taste the complexity of the cookie, and appreciate the incredible texture of the oats and the melding of the chocolate, brown sugar, and hint of the cinnamon. They also develop a delightful crunch that allows for them to hold their shape.


Ingredients:

1 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare three baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium-size bowl and set aside. In a standing mixer (or with a hand-mixer), beat together the butter and both kinds of sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Mix in the flour mixture, one half at a time, then the oats and chocolate chips. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl between each addition. Scoop the cookies onto the baking sheet and gently roll into balls. Give the dough balls plenty of room to spread out on the baking sheet, and pop them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly brown. Eat right out of the oven, or let cool!



I packaged most of this batch up for my friends at Centre, but this recipe is the perfect treat for school lunches. A batch of these cookies can last for about a week, and they seriously get better each day. They also hold up well in a lunchbox!


So, here I come, Centre--bearing gifts of cookies! 


No comments:

Post a Comment